The MPD Blue Plains Impound Lot Modernization Project will be located at 5000 Shepherd Parkway SW, Washington, DC 20032. The DC BPIL is responsible for evidence control and is legally required to store vehicles for as long as 75 years. After undergoing years of deferred maintenance and being placed under a consent order from the EPA for the site's Storm water management practices, BELL Architects was selected to oversee the modernization of the existing impound lot administrative office and site infrastructure. A new main entry and administrative and service area is being provided at the front of the lot to enhance workflows transferring and processing vehicles. Traffic through the site will be changed to one-way direction to allow for tractor trailers to navigate the site.
The secured facility’s modernization includes, but is not limited to the following program elements:
• 1,200 sf prefabricated administrative office;
• Covered wash bay and electric car lifts;
• Prefabricated guard booth with overhead canopy;
• 4-tier cantilever storage racks to accommodate 528 vehicles;
• Parking for 876 vehicles stored on grade;
• 76 parking spaces for the MPD's 6th & 7th Districts' impounded vehicles; and space to
store 90 small motor vehicles.
Site improvements included:
• New entrance drive;
• Heavy duty paving;
• Pre-treated bio-retention facilities;
• LED site lighting;
• Staff and MPD tow truck parking; and
• New perimeter fencing and remote gates